There are so many things you can do to improve your health. Never think for a minute that one thing won’t matter because every little step you take makes a difference. Here are 33 ways you can improve your health right now…
1) Drink More Water – Water purifies and detoxifies the body. It replenishes and revives us. It is essential to our health and life because our bodies are composed of 75% water. If you feel thirsty, it means you are already dehydrated. To make sure you are getting enough water, drink at least half of your weight in ounces each day.
2) Avoid Sitting Disease – With so many of us sitting all day and night at work and when we get home, we are depriving our bodies of the movement it needs to stay healthy and vibrant. If you’re noticing symptoms of fatigue, depression, pain, and the onset of disease, it could be a result of lack of physical activity. Set a timer on your phone every hour and make sure you get up and move, even if it’s just for 30 seconds of stretching or 1 minute of walking. Discover for yourself: Is too much sitting killing you?
3) Eat More Whole Foods – Whole foods are foods that come from nature, and undergo minimal to no processing. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and whole grains are foods you want to be eating more of. Try the CarpeVITA Healthy Diet here.
4) Eat Less Processed Foods – Processed foods contain chemicals, toxins and additives that are not compatible with our bodies. They cause a state of inflammation in the body and put the immune system on overload. You are what you eat – choose to be whole, not processed.
5) Laugh – Laughter is medicine for the whole being. It helps us feel happy, excited and alive. It helps us have fun, which makes everything in life feel lighter. Surround yourself with people and things that make you laugh.
6) Get Outside – We are undeniably connected to nature, and when we spend time in it, it’s like air for our mind, body and spirit. It rejuvenates our mood, physical state, and our emotional and mental wellbeing. Spend as much time as you can outdoors on a regular basis.
7) Practice Gratitude & Love – Love is the strongest emotion in existence. It heals, provides joy, and produces miracles. Gratitude is a form of love. It changes a person’s mental state and transforms their life in miraculous ways. The more we love and show gratitude toward, the more we will have to love and be grateful for. Stop complaining and judging, and start noticing how blessed you are and how much love is in your life. Here are 10 ideas to thank your way to health.
8) Take Quality Herbal Supplements – While it’s important to get the majority of your vitamins, minerals and nutrients from the food you eat, it is extremely hard to eat a diet these days that provides everything we need. That’s why supplements are important. But don’t take just any supplement because quality makes all the difference when it comes to supplements. Learn how to choose a quality supplement here.
9) Use Natural Products – Whether it be products you put on your body, on your home, on your car, or on your garden, the less synthetic chemicals you use, the less toxins your body and our earth have to work through. Try to use natural products when possible. Learn about the repercussions of chemicals in your environment here and learn about harmful vs. beneficial body care ingredients here.
10) Meditate – Studies have proven that meditation provides incredible benefits for the body, mind and spirit. While it can feel like taking some time to “do nothing” is counter productive, in reality it can transform your health and your life.
11) Eat Smart Snacks – Instead of grabbing a pastry or a bag of chips, fuel your body throughout the day with smart snacks, like nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables. You’ll probably find you won’t have to endure those afternoon slumps anymore, and you won’t have to deal with hunger throughout the day. Try these truly unique snack ideas.
12) Keep it All in Perspective – In the scheme of things, does the fact that someone just cut you off really matter? Sometimes, we take things too personally and too seriously. Keep things in perspective and focus on what really matters.
13) Smile – When we smile, it instantly boosts our mood, even if we are faking a smile. In addition, when we smile at others, it instantly transforms the energy between us into a calm, comfortable state. Smile at others. Smile at yourself. Smile for no reason. Smile for every reason.
14) Start Your Day Off With a Smoothie – A smoothie is the perfect way to start your day because you can add almost anything you want to it, it tastes great, and it provides your body with the vitamins and nutrients it needs to start the day right. Try adding your favorite fruit, nuts, seeds, almond butter, coconut milk, kale, greek yogurt, and more.
15) Reduce Your Sugar Intake – Sugar adds inflammation in the body, which leads to numerous diseases, such as type 2 diabetes and arthritis. Never use artificial sweeteners as a sugar substitute, however, because the toxic overload they provide won’t help matters. Try using honey or stevia (a natural sweet herb) instead, and reduce the amount of desserts and candy you eat on a daily basis. Learn why we crave sugar here.
16) Reduce Your Dairy Intake – Even though we’ve heard it over and over – “milk does a body good” – that may not be the case. Dairy increases the amount of inflammation in our bodies, it aggravates allergies, and it’s hard on the digestive system. And after all that, it has been found that countries with the lowest rate of dairy consumption actually have the lowest rate of osteoporosis. Reduce your consumption of dairy, and notice if you feel an improvement in your health.
17) Reduce Your Gluten Intake – While not everyone has a gluten sensitivity, the fact is we are all bombarded with too much gluten these days. This is because it is added to processed foods to provide texture and flavor, and our wheat contains more gluten than it ever did due to our farming practices. Try cutting back on gluten and notice if you feel any different. Learn more about eating gluten-free here and learn what’s wrong with our wheat here.
18) Go To Bed Earlier – Sleep is far from overrated – it is essential to our health and wellbeing. When we sleep, our bodies get to work healing and reviving the damage that was done throughout the day. Without the proper amount of sleep, our health and immunity is downgraded instantly. Try going to bed just a half hour earlier, and work up to getting 7-9 hours of sleep each night. Try these tips for better sleep.
19) Stop Counting Calories – It’s the type of calorie that matters, not the amount. For example, nuts are high in calories, but they are quality, high-nutrient calories that help you feel full and satisfied. By eating all low-calorie foods, your body will be starving for nutrients and substance, making you want to eat more and leading to health issues. Learn more about why you shouldn’t count calories to lose weight here.
20) Get Some Sun – While we are all told to wear sunscreen every time we leave our house, the sun is actually essential to our health and wellbeing. It provides us with much needed vitamin D and serotonin that keep our bones healthy and our moods happy. Learn about the importance of sun for our health here.
21) Be Nice – You never know what someone is going through in life, so err on the side of being nice no matter what. If we were all a little nicer to each other, the world would be a much happier place.
22) Get 10,000 Steps a Day – By wearing a band that records your steps, you can track how much physical activity you are engaging in throughout the day. Aim for 10,000 steps each day, which has been shown to promote optimal health and wellness.
23) Learn Something New Every Day – Part of being healthy is keeping the mind sharp. A great way to do that is to keep learning new things. The mind stays fresh and sharp, and your memory is enhanced when you practice new skills on a regular basis.
24) Give Out Compliments – Getting compliments feels great, and giving compliments is a great way to spread kindness. It also shows that you are taking an interest in others, which can easily improve your social life.
25) Drink Tea – Tea (especially organic tea) is full of antioxidants and nutrients that promote health and wellness. It’s a healthier alternative to coffee, and a delicious way to calm your nerves and soothe a stomachache, not to mention the additional health benefits that tea provides. Discover the health benefits of tea here.
26) Get Cravings Under Control – Cravings don’t need to rule your life. You can take back control by learning what your cravings mean so that you can provide your body with a healthier option. Learn what your cravings mean here and learn how to stop a food craving here.
27) Schedule a Physical – Two of the easiest ways to improve your health is to 1) stay on top of any health issues and 2) improve your relationship with your physician. Both of these things can be obtained by making sure you don’t miss your annual check up each year. You just might find problems before they become big issues, and you’ll be able to create a care plan with your physician that could prevent health conditions. Learn about the importance of an annual check up here.
28) Stop Dieting – Most diets are unhealthy and they don’t work long term. Opt for making healthy lifestyle changes that promote health and weight loss instead. Here are 8 tips for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
29) Be a Participant in Your Health – The more you become an active participant in your own health, the more you will see your health improve, and the better you’ll feel. Learn how to better participate in your health here.
30) Learn How to Read Food Labels – Nutrition labels can be deceiving and difficult to understand. Foods can seem healthy that are not simply because of the labeling. Learn how to stop being fooled by deceiving food labels here.
31) Eat More Organic and GMO-Free Food – When we eat foods that are organic and/or GMO-free, we provide our bodies with clean and toxin-free food that better sustains our bodies. Learn why GMO’s are bad here, and learn if organic food is really better here.
32) Predict Health Issues Before They Come Up – With so many prevention strategies out there, how can you know which ones will work for you and which diseases you are more likely to get in the first place. Now there is a way! By getting a genomic test, you can let your DNA guide your prevention plans. It’ll provide insights into what health conditions and sensitivities you are more genetically susceptible to, as well as the interventions that will work best for you. Check it out here.
33) Take Small Steps – Every little thing you do to improve your health makes a big impact on your overall health. Most of the time, it’s the small steps we take that have the biggest impact because they are successful, whereas when we try to make huge changes, we often set ourselves up for failure. Never assume that something small won’t matter. Try these small changes that make big improvements to your health.